Simple Daily Habits – Day 29!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      KathyP
      Participant

Well, this week was a tough one to do the last habit with the situation at work (visitors, lunch brought in for meetings, etc).

Reflections:

I am still not getting enough water, but I think about it. Before the challenge I was probably at about 40 oz and am now probably back up to 55 on a good day. I will continue to work on this.

Not eating before bed. I used to be really good at not doing this, right after surgery. I fell into bad habits. This challenged me to remember it and be more conscious of not eating if I was about to go to bed. I haven’t always been successful, but I think I’ll keep this one going, too.

Unplugging. The 1 hr in a row is hard, depending on what type of day it is. However, planning to read for about an hour before bed, instead of vegging out in front of the TV and then flopping into bed dead tired makes me more rested and less stressed. And I’m much more conscious about not checking all the time when out with friends. Seriously, how did I become a slave to the device.

If anyone else struggles with being unplugged, I have my mailbox set for “fetch manually” instead of “push every x minutes” so that I only get email when I ask for it. At work, I have the volume off and the pop up off. I can’t turn off the icon in the start menu. But, basically, not being aware of the fact that there’s something new to see helps me ignore it (kind of the like the blinky water reminder doing the opposite?). My text messages are on vibrate, and all the other notifications are badge icon only. If it’s that urgent, they’ll call me.

Outside food versus planned meals. Whoa, that’s a big one. I ate at the golden arches (there, @nikki-massie, accountability) twice this week. Insanity. However, I have been doing moderately better in recent months – minus this week – with bringing salads with chicken to work, having better snacks in my lunch bag, and eating a better dinner. I need to be challenged (and accept the challenge) to actually COOK. gasp. It’s worse than getting me to the gym. However, I know I can be healthier in my choices when I plan ahead. Then the next logical step is controlling the ingredients. I’ll keep this as a goal.

enouI am

@kperevosnik

Sarahlareina
      Participant

Penultimate – I like it.  So water has been the hardest.  I was at 24-36 when we started and now consistently at 60+, so that’s a big change.  I’ve even had a kidney stone once, so you’d think I’d be really diligent about hydration :/

Eating before bed was never a conscious decision to do or not to do, and it wasn’t very hard to implement.  I just had to watch the clock.  Unplugging was a bit tougher.  I can easily unplug for a few hours a day, but typically no more than 30 minutes at a time, so that has taken some real effort.  I’m not sure that it’s made a big difference to me – in my personal life especially, I am not a slave to my devices.  I make them work for me or it’s not worth it.

The prepping food was an easy one.  I’ve done this at least 90% of the time for the past few years anyway and actually enjoy finding new recipes to try out.

@sarahlareina

Robin Miller
      Participant

As far as the water goes, getting my 80 ounces (what my bariatric clinic wants) had been my goal for at least two weeks before this challenge started and I was struggling. Now I’m getting at very least the 80 and some days a lot more.

No eating an hour before bed did not work out for me. A bedtime snack was added by my surgeon at nine months post-op (much to the despair of the nutritionist) as I was waking up with a growling pouch in the middle of the night and unable to sleep. I tried the one hour thing and I was right back to the waking up in the middle of the night again. So, the snack was moved back to bedtime.

Being unplugged has always been an accidental thing before now. Now that I have been doing it deliberately, I find that I look forward to the peace and quiet that it brings!

The prepping meals at home… well, I probably did that almost 98-99% of the time already. That hasn’t changed. I have the occasional meal out, but that’s usually less than once a week.

Susan Sheipe
      Participant

I used to average 30 to 40 ounces a day.  50 used to be a really good, rare day.  Now I’m getting 50 to 60 a day, occasionally more.  I’m planning on continuing this challenge, since it makes me feel better.

I used to eat a little snack before going to bed. It helps me sleep better when I do.  It was usually small, like one or two laughing cow pieces.  Or a slice of bread, or a cheese slice.  I’ve found that doing this challenge makes me stay up later to meet my hour, rather than planning on stopping an hour before bed.  I’m not going to continue this one, although it was interesting to try it.  I think it made me more aware of what I can eat for my bedtime snack in the future.

I’ve never intentionally unplugged before, but have enjoyed doing it.  It gets me out of the house to go for a ride, sit on my porch, or do some gardening. I will continue this, and will try to increase my unplugged time.

I almost never cook, although I do eat mostly at home.  I just eat things I can grab, or nuke, or prepared salads…  I bought supplies to cook this week, and still haven’t done it.  I either don’t feel good enough to do it, or I’m busy doing something else.  I am going to try to get in the habit of cooking though.  I know it will be healthier for me.

Beth
      Participant

Ended yesterday at 72oz!! Rest of goals met

Now that I can use the br as needed (and not on a schedule #teacherlife) I am drinking more (was usually 60-64 now closer to 70). I always have done no snacking 1hour before bed (or else I get sick) and meal prep … Must do for me. Unplugging is harder in summer …but it is good to find other things to do so that is a habit I will continue to work on.

Maria A
      Participant

Only managed to complete 1 challenge yesterday. Stressful day and I made not so good choices with food which also means I made an unplanned stop to get these not so good choices (bologna sandwich and chips). Ended up eating a snack right before bed. However, I was so busy yesterday that I never even checked e-mails until last night. So, I was unplugged almost all day.

Water, well what can I say. I’m not a big fan of it and only drink it if it’s ice cold. So if I’m cold, I don’t drink much of it and drink something warm. If I am warm, I will drink much more. I probably was drinking on average before the challenge 30 oz. and that seems to be where I continue to be at.

Unplugging wasn’t difficult for me. As for being an intentional unplugging I haven’t done this. I told myself some time ago that I couldn’t get involved with anything on the internet until I have completed tasks I have planned for that day. I was finding I’d get involved with as an example Facebook and before I knew it 1 hour or more had gone by and I still needed to do all these tasks which created stress for me.

Most times before the challenge I wouldn’t have any food within 1 hour of bed. Occasionally I would have something small like a piece of fruit or protein bar.

For the most part before the challenge I would have all dinners planned for Monday-Thursday. Breakfast and lunch were mostly what I had available at home (all week). Friday and Saturday nights were my off nights and date nights with my husband.

@thinkhealthy

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.